Following from my last blog, which was about motivation, goal setting and dreams, this week I want to address the impact of healthy diet on our overall well-being. How to improve the quality of our lives and productivity? With so much going on in our lives, such as dealing with school, work and family life, sometimes we tend to forget to take care of ourselves. We start to take our body and mind for granted. What we should be really doing is focusing on ourselves first and foremost.
There is no magic to a healthy living. This is what worked for me, and I hope it does for you too.
- Eating healthy
- Exercise regularly
- Peace of mind
- Drink plenty of water
Eating healthy involves consuming more fruits, vegetables and less fatty foods. Cutting down on the carbohydrates or having it less than you normally would. Things that have worked for me in the past include:
- Green tea– it stimulates the body’s metabolism and can also suppress the absorption of fat. And drinking it daily aids in weight loss.
- Olive oil has many benefits; the main benefit is that it lowers the bad cholesterol and raises the good cholesterol.
- Lemon–Try drinking lemon water as it is refreshing and has Vitamin C. It is best to reduce your intake of sugar, no pop, alcohol or canned fruit drinks!
- And lastly, Chicken is the best way to lose weight. This white meat is less fat, making it a good source of meat protein.
Exercise – I can’t stress enough the importance of exercising and its endless benefits. You don’t have to go to the gym to be able to do your exercise, simply by being active such as joining a sports club, a good walk, jog, and yoga does the job. I have personally gained a lot of benefits from doing yoga during my undergraduate years. It helped in maintaining my weight, reduced stress, and calms my mind.
And yes drink plenty of water—8 glasses of water is what the doctors suggest, and five to six glasses are fine too for starters. Keep a bottle of water in your purse, bag pack, in your car, so that it is easily reachable. -And make sure you have a glass of water every morning before breakfast as it helps in reducing weight.
Lastly, meditation helps with our mental well-being; it improves concentration levels and helps us to stay better focused in achieving our goals. Spare some time for yourself only. And spend time alone with yourself, where you can reflect on the past events and daily activities.
Some factors that are important for maintaining well-being include:
- good interpersonal relationships – a supportive relationship with at least one person – having good social support, good family relationships
- connectedness – having friends and social/cultural networks within the community
- purpose – having meaningful activity in life such as work, academic, sporting and spiritual pursuits
Next week’s topic will cover the importance of having a positive frame of mind until then stay tuned!